The Diáspora Lab Produção 2020 will be held remotely, over the course of eight weeks, from October 6 to November 26, 2020, following the health agencies’ official recommendations of social distancing due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The applications for the Diaspora Lab Produção 2020 will be open from July 27th to August 15th, 2020. There is no fee for the applications. You can apply by filling out the application form that is available here.
WHO CAN APPLY?
The program is designed for black Brazilian film producers who have a passion for cinema, who are dedicated to film production and who are interested in sharing ideas regarding their creation processes. To be eligible, the applicant must be: 18 or older; black; a natural person; currently living in Brazil. The applicant must also have feature film (fiction or documentary) projects in development. Only the applications of producers who have already produced at least 01 feature film or 02 short films or 01 television show as the main producer will be considered. The applicant must be the main producer of the submitted project.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
This year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the program will have remote tutoring and advisory activities. It will be an eight week long program, from October 6th to November 26th, 2020. During this time, the selected people will be able to work in the development of their narratives, with the help of weekly individual or collective consulting meetings under the guidance of our team of guest consultants.
1. Aspects of artistic quality (clarity, originality, technical writing, uniqueness); 2. Co-production potential; 3. Willingness to share and contribute to other participant’s projects; 4. The participant’s résumé/CV.
Prêmio Diáspora Conecta [Diáspora Conecta Prize]: one of the documentary projects from the screenwriting and production labs will be selected to earn a cash prize of R$10.000,00 (ten thousand reals) aimed at promoting the narrative development of the project.
Prêmio Miradasdoc [Miradasdoc Prize]: one of the documentary projects from the screenwriting and production labs will be selected to participate in the next edition of AFROLATAM LAB (Africa-Latin America Co-production Forum) in 2021, at Miradasdoc Festival.
Diaspora Production Lab
The Diáspora Lab Produção is an advanced training program that aims to improve and enhance the creative skills of black Brazilian producers.
Applications: July 27th to August 15th, 2020
Pre-selection: September 20th, 2020
Interviews: September 21th to 24th, 2020
Selection Results: September 25th, 2020
RULES & TERMS
1. The second edition of the Project Development Laboratory - Diáspora Lab Produção 2020 opens for applications between July 27th and August 15th, 2020, so that black Brazilian producers can apply and submit their feature film (fiction or documentary) projects in development.
2. The Diáspora Lab Produção is an advanced training program that aims to improve and enhance the creative skills of independent black Brazilian producers. This year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the lab will take place remotely, between October 6th and November 26th, 2020
3. The lab will select up to six feature film projects in development (three fiction projects and three documentary projects).
4. There is no fee for the applications and the application forms will be available here from July 27th to August 15th, 2020.
5. To be eligible, the applicant must be: 18 or older; black; a natural person; currently living in Brazil. The applicant must also have feature film (fiction or documentary) projects in development.
6. Only the applications of producers who have already produced at least 01 feature film or 02 short films or 01 television show as the main producer will be considered. The applicant must be the main producer of the submitted project.
7. Each applicant can only submit one project. The applicants who choose to submit their projects to Lab Produção cannot submit them to Lab Roteiro and vice versa. In case there is more than one application by the same applicant, only the last one will be considered in the selection.
8. People who had their projects selected in Diáspora Lab’s last edition cannot apply for the current edition.
9. In the event that their project is selected, the applicant commits to participate in the Diáspora Lab Produção 2020’s activities, which will be held remotely over the course of eight weeks, from October 6th to November 26th, 2020, respecting the schedule of online meetings that will be made available by the lab’s organization.
10. In case the selected project has more than one producer, all of them can participate in the lab’s activities.
11. Upon application, the screenwriter commits to insert the Diáspora Conecta’s logo in the credits of the film whose script project was selected to Diáspora Lab, along with the following sentence: O PROJETO DESTE FILME PARTICIPOU DO DIÁSPORA LAB PRODUÇÃO 2020 – LABORATÓRIO DE DESENVOLVIMENTO DE PROJETOS DA PLATAFORMA DIÁSPORA CONECTA [THIS FILM’S PROJECT WAS PART OF DIÁSPORA LAB PRODUÇÃO 2020 - A PROJECT DEVELOPMENT LABORATORY BY THE DIÁSPORA CONECTA PLATFORM].
12. The projects will be evaluated by a selection committee formed specifically for this purpose. The selection committee’s decisions are irrevocable.
13. To apply, it is necessary to fill out the application form with the following items:
a. Short synopsis (maximum of 500 characters with spaces);
b. Film treatment (maximum of 8,000 characters with spaces);
c. Context of the story (maximum of 5,000 characters with spaces);
d. Reference images (maximum of 3 images);
e. Cover letter (maximum of 2,500 characters with spaces);
f. Bio/Filmography of the project’s producer and the project’s director (maximum of 2,500 characters with spaces);
g. Total budget (in reais and in US dollars);
h. Financing plan.
14. In case the project is an adaptation of a pre-existing work, it is mandatory to provide an authorization for adaptation signed by the copyright holders. The responsibility for any legal action claiming authorship, misuse of copyright, or other issues related to intellectual property, falls on the applicant.
15. Only projects written in Portuguese will be accepted.
16. The applicant guarantees to Diáspora Lab that: (i) they are the project’s author or co-author and its legitimate copyright owner, having thus the authority to submit it to Diáspora Lab Roteiro 2020 for evaluation under the terms and rules stated hereby; (ii) the project does not violate or infringe any third party rights; and (iii) no third party left undeclared at the time of the application is entitled to or has any rights over the project that was submitted for evaluation.
17. By applying for this call, the applicant declares to be fully aware that this selection is a competition, which means their project will be read by many selectors, thus exempting Diaspora Lab and everyone else involved from any responsibility in the face of the possible appearance of projects that present similarities with the projects involved in this selection.
18. The winners must sign a Statement of Commitment with the Prize and/or the Partner that offers the prizes.
19. Diaspora Lab will not cover the costs of the selected projects with transportation, travel tickets, accommodation, internet connection, equipment and any other expenses.
20. Diaspora Lab will not be held responsible for the consequences of false information that may be presented by the applicants. Those responsible for any infractions of the rules and terms of selection can be disqualified at any time.
21. When submitting their project, the producer affirms consent and agreement with the terms and rules stated hereby, confirming that all the information provided to Diaspora Lab’s organization at the time of the application is true.
22. The organization will analyze and decide how to deal with any cases that are not included in these rules and terms.
23. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
TRAILER OF THE PREVIOUS EDITION - DIÁSPORA LAB